Saturday, May 7, 2011

Kentucky Derby {Omaha baby shower cakes}

 I always giggle a little when someone asks, "Can you do a .... cake?" Fill in blank:  graduation, super hero, random color choice, whatever.  Sure, just because I haven't done that theme yet doesn't mean I can't.
However, I was stumped when the theme of Kentucky Derby came through my inbox.  I was not sure how to convey both the elegance and sport of the KD with a baby shower.  
So, lots and lots of image searching, IMing my cake consultant, Megan, calling my mom and day dreaming about this cake...and  I am very happy with the final product. 
The colors were coral and gold.  I painted a cream gumpaste band with gum glue, then poured LOTS of gold shimmer dust on top to create a solid gold band.  I will probably not do that again, unless for a small cake like this one.  It was not hard, but you don't want to touch it because that can mess up the shimmer. 


I found an image of a rose that I felt would be simple enough for the cake, but also pretty and something you could tell was a rose!    The horseshoes were simple shoes that I lightly dusted with the gold shimmer dust before applying, to give it some golden sheen.

For the top, I loved the idea of a lady in a big hat as a silhouette. (Thanks MR for that idea!).  I went with a dark chocolate brown to compliment the colors of the shower.  And man, did the brown really tie it all together in what I hope would make anyone in attendance at the KD proud ;)
I think the reason I was so nervous about this cake all dates back to college.  My kinesiology professor (for two semesters, even though I tried to NOT have him the second time around) was a HUGE Kentucky Derby fan and attended EVERY year...as in, he had permission to give his finals early so he could leave for a weekend trip to Kentucky.  True story.
I guess remembering how much he loved it made me feel I had to do a really good job to pass his class, lol...even though that is not even close to the truth!  But I think that random tie with that professor who made me nervous and pushed to hard spilled over into this part of my life.
Funny how things like that happen.

No comments: